and Annual Gala
The Don Diego Scholarship Foundation provides financial support for deserving San Diego County college-bound students. The fund was formed in 1986 as a lasting tribute to Tom Hernandez, who, in the role of Don Diego, was the legendary host of the San Diego County Fair from 1947 until his death in 1984.
In his memory, the Don Diego Fund (now Don Diego Scholarship Foundation) was created to provide college scholarships for outstanding San Diego County high school students who have participated in the annual San Diego County Fair or other events associated with the Del Mar Fairgrounds. Since the first scholarships were awarded in 1986, the foundation has distributed more than half a million dollars in scholarships and grants and has helped nearly 125 students pursue a college degree.
The main fundraising event each year is an annual gala that takes place at the San Diego County Fair. The Don Diego Scholarship Foundation Gala will be Thursday, June 28, beginning with hosted cocktails and silent auction, followed by a gourmet dinner and program to introduce the 2012 scholarship recipients. Guests will then move to VIP seats to enjoy the Creedence Clearwater Revisited concert and dessert.
Tickets are $150.00. If you are interested in attending this event, please see www.dondiegofund.org.
Another way you can contribute to the Don Diego Scholarship Foundation is to join the Amigo Club. For each $99.00 donation, you will receive:
- The Best Pass Ever, unlimited adult admission to the San Diego County Fair
- Unlimited Stretch Run admission to the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club's Racing Season
- Four single-day admission passes to Surfside Race Place, the Fairgrounds' luxurious, Las Vegas-style race book
- One admission to The Scream Zone in October
- One round of miniature golf at Pelly's Mini Golf
- One regular vehicle admission to the Holiday of Lights in December
Direct questions to email@example.com
More information on the Don Diego Scholarship Foundation and these benefits