On the Infield: Family Funville!
The San Diego County Fair has a special place for family fun — the Infield, now known as Family Funville. The emphasis here is on kids and activities the whole family will enjoy. Most activities in this area are open all day until 9:00PM; exceptions are noted.
Family Funville Attractions
Kids Zone — (formerly known as Kiddieland) features more than 40 rides sized just for toddlers and young children. Find out more on the Rides & Games page. Kids Zone opens at noon (11:00AM Saturdays, Sundays and July 4), and closes at 10:00PM (11:00PM Fridays and Saturdays).
Creative Youth and Best of K-6 Schools — These twin exhibits feature projects and creations of school students (grades K-6) and individual children and teens.
Creative Youth displays the work of students (grades K-6th) and youth organizations (such as 4-H, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, etc.) ages 5-17. Art, food, photography, collections, gems & minerals, crafts, gardening and much more are among the almost 20,000 items in this exhibit. New this year will be categories in science and great-grandparent crafts focusing on crafts that were popular 100 years ago.
In Best of K-6 Schools, student projects are featured, some done by individuals and others worked on by an entire class. Art, murals, school gardens, and essays are typical examples of student work that is entered.
Among the attractions in the Creative Youth Exhibit:
1. Participate in a contest for kids in art, crafts and cooking. New contests include: Decorated Baseball Cap, Art from Game Pieces, Healthy Trail Mix, Miniature Flower Arrangements, and Plush Animal Dress Up.
2. Listen to a story and meet local authors and illustrators! Daily storytelling will take place at 3:00PM with stories, demonstrations and book signings by authors and illustrators. Influential community figures also will tell stories!
3. Enjoy daily crafts and activities offered by a variety of art organizations and Creative Youth staff from 11:00AM to 1:00PM.
4. Watch a Presentation! At 1:00PM each day, a demonstration will be given by a variety of groups including: Artisans from Mexico; Bob Meigs, magician extraordinaire; the National Comedy Theater; children and nature organizations; science education organizations and much more!
5. Kids can play Bingo! Games for children held daily at 4:30PM.
6. Visit the Science Area! Tables with hands-on science activities, engineering, building and brain-games.
It's Magic—When it comes to top-flight magical entertainment, the 2014 San Diego County Fair rivals Hollywood's famous Magic Castle. We have more than 200 magical events during our 24-day run: kids' shows, family shows, the Do-It-Yourself Magic Show; two stage hypnosis shows every Thursday by the world famous Mark Yuzuik (and on the San Diego Showcase Stage other days); and Abra-KID-Abra, our celebated magic camp. At Abra-KID-Abra, we not only teach magic, the kids get to take it home with them! And, of course, it's all free, once you've entered the magical kingdom of the San Diego County Fair.
Family Fun Contests — Contests every day where you and your family can make great memories and win a blue ribbon. Contests include Three O'Clock Fun, Most Patriotic Costume, Family Look Alike and many more. See the One-Day Contests page for more information. Families also will have fun entering the contest at The Farm. Scroll down for more information on those.
Albertsons/Sav-on Funville Stage — This stage has great entertainment all day long by community groups performing a variety of dances and martial arts, singers and more.
The Wild West Turkey Stampede — Four half-hour shows daily at noon, 3:30PM, 5:30PM and 8:30PM. The Wild West Turkey Stampede is a fun and educational show that will make you laugh as lots of turkeys tear around a pint-sized arena trying to catch Big Red, a remote control trick truck towing turkey treats. Don't miss this industry award-winning show and Fair fan hit!
The San Diego Pavilion and Community Days
The San Diego Pavilion, a covered area in the center of Family Funville, is home to more than 100 non-profit organizations that share information on the work they do to help our community every day! For example, several law enforcement agencies, including the San Diego County Sheriffs, Border Patrol and California Highway Patrol, have free safety advice and information on careers in law enforcement.
The San Diego County Vintners Association and Sam Bass of KyXy 96.5 host free wine tasting of San Diego County's finest wines twice a day at 4:00 and 5:00PM. Also, a local chef performs a free cooking demonstration with samples for the audience every day at 3:00PM. There is always something happening in the San Diego Pavilion! This exhibit closes at 6:00PM daily.
Celebrate San Diego County Communities
The San Diego Pavilion also is home to the Fair's Community Days Celebrations. Each day, a different community is San Diego County is featured with local businesses. Clubs and organizations are invited to participate, with many free giveaways on these days. The booths will be open from the Fair's opening (10:00AM on Saturdays and Sundays; 11:00AM other days) until 5:00PM.
Out at the Fair Day
Hometown Heroes Celebration
July 4, 10:00AM-7:00PM. Our traditional Hometown Heroes Parade will begin in Family Funville. (Find out more about this celebration.)
At the Funville Farm
Hours: Fair Opening to 6:00PM
The Funville Farm is the destination for those interested in growing their own food or seeing where our food comes from. It is a great place to bring a picnic, engage the kids in free activities and learn about a variety of home gardening subjects. All the crops grown at the Farm are planted and cared for by the Fair's Exhibit Department.
Things to see and do at the Funville Farm:
• NEW! In honor of our Fab Fair theme are two fun and educational exhibits: "Meet The Beetles", presented in partnership with the UC Cooperative Extension, will show you good and bad beetles native to San Diego. Also, "Strawberry Fields Forever" will highlight the strawberry industry in San Diego County and show you unique ways you can grow them at home.
• Honeybee exhibit complete with info on beekeeping, honey and a working hive where you can find the queen bee! Scroll down for information on the Home Harvested Honey Contest.
• Check out easy-to-make backyard chicken coops.
• Learn new techniques for making your own backyard garden.
• See some common and unusual herbs for cooking, medicinal use and teas.
• Displays about bugs and birds that are important pollinators for plants.
• Hydroponics Exhibit - learn how to grow food using almost no soil! An efficient way to grow food almost anywhere! Presented by Ag Pals
• The Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum will show visitors the equipment that farmers used "in the good old days." Additionally, they will teach fairgoers traditional homemaking crafts.
• The all new Farm Stage will feature guest speakers, demonstrations and other fun outdoor activities. Each day "Wildlife on the Farm" will take place showing guests how wildlife help farmers and vice versa.
• The Solana Center will be on hand to teach people all about composting and vermicomposting
• Watermelon Seed Spitting Contest - daily
• Worm Races - daily
• Corn Husking Contest- daily
• Plant a Veggie to take home - weekends
• Take a Tour of the Farm - weekends
• Produce contests - participants vie for the best fruit or veggies grown in their very own backyards. Scroll down for more information on these contests.
Home-Harvested Honey Contest
Homemade Harvested Honey Entry Form [PDF]
Bring a 5-oz. jar of your home-harvested, raw honey in a clear glass jar, and the contest form to the Funville Farm patio area in Family Funville between 10:00AM-1:00PM on June 14.
Homegrown Produce Contest
Homegrown Produce Entry Form [PDF]
Enter your homegrown produce! Pre-registration for this contest is required. Please click on the link to get the enry form. Forms and fees must be postmarked by June 6; the contests are on Saturdays in June (June 14, 21 and 28).
Homegrown Zucchini Contest
Homegrown Zucchini Entry Form [PDF]
Bring your best homegrown zucchini and this contest form on July 5 to the Farm in Family Funville between 10:00AM and noon.